The life and quality of your dental work and oral appliances depends largely on the care they receive outside of the dental office. Dr. Chet B. Hawkins and our team are pleased to offer you tips on how to properly care for your new smile.
- You should wear your splint at all times for the first few days to reduce jaw pain. After that, you can switch to wearing it only at night and when you are stressed.
- When not using your splint, please keep it in its case and away from your dog (dogs think splints are great chew toys).
- Take your splint out of the car, or else it can be warped by the heat.
- When cleaning your splint, use a toothbrush and hold it in the palm of your hand.
- You may salivate more during the first few days of wearing your splint, and this is normal.
- Remove your splint if it causes you pain and call our office.
Many patients are provided temporary dental crowns while their permanent crowns are completed. If you are given a temporary crown by our dentist, please remember the following advice:
- Treat the crown with care so that it remains in place at all times and maintains the space needed for the permanent crown.
- Do not eat any sticky, hard, and crunchy food (eg, caramel, popcorn, carrots, gum), as these could dislodge the crown.
- If the crown does come loose, you can clean it with a soft toothbrush and fill it with a small amount of toothpaste or Vaseline before putting it back in its place. Please visit our office as soon as possible.
Please contact our office at 830-331-7355 if you have any questions or would like to schedule a visit with our dentist in Boerne, Texas.